What can you do?

Make sure our support for the Bill and further changes are heard! Below are some ways you can contribute to the campaign…

Make a submission to the Senate Committee inquiry – due 29 April!

Parliament is considering whether it should pass the Family Law Legislation Amendment (Family Violence and Other Measures) Bill.

The Senate Committee on Legal and Constitutional Affairs will be considering the Bill in detail and reporting back to the Senate. Submissions are due to the Senate Committee are due on 29 April 2011.

It is important that the Parliament hears your experiences and opinions on how the family law system is or isn’t working to protect women and children from family violence. The Parliament can still make changes to the Bill before it is made into law. If you think the Bill should be made into law or if you think more changes should be made to better protect women and children, then you should tell the Senate Committee to make it happen.

You can find out more about the Senate Committee inquiry here. We have also developed some materials that might help you in making your submission, including a position paper on the Bill and a submission writing kit.

Back to top

Contact Shadow Ministers and ask them to support the Bill

The Shadow Ministry will be considering whether it will support the Bill in the week beginning 28 March 2011. Call or email them to tell them that the changes in the Bill (and more) are necessary to protect the safety of women and children in the family law system.

Contact Shadow Attorney-General, Senator George Brandis, and the rest of the Shadow Ministry (contact details can be found here). You can download a sample email here.

Remember, when writing to politicians, it is generally more effective to write your own email or letter rather than using a template. This sample email, which has already been sent to the Shadow Ministry, may give you an idea of some of the things you might include, but try to adapt the email to include your own stories and ideas. Your email can be short and does not need to be as long as the sample email.

You can also contact your local coalition Senators and members of parliament. See information below for tips on how to find out who they are and what their contact details are.

Back to top

Contact members of Parliament

You can call or write to the Attorney-General, the Shadow Attorney-General, your federal Member of Parliament and relevant Senators to ask them to change the family law system by putting the safety first and removing all presumptions in family law so that every family can be treated as unique.

If you don’t know who your local member is, you can find your electorate here and the contact details for the electorate representative here. You can find your Senators here.

The Women’s Legal Services Australia position paper and submission writing kit may assist you in preparing a letter.

Back to top